Saturday, September 4, 2010

Friday = Farmers Market

Every Friday, my town has a Farmers Market where local farmers, crafters, and anyone else can sell their wares. The awesome thing about it is that they don't charge a vendor fee, so it allows us vendors to be able to set  up a table every week without the worry of losing money if sales happen to be slow.

Coincidentally, the Farmers Market is held near the Town Hall, which is practically in my backyard so this has been really great for us...we literally just walk out our door and have a plethora of local produce, baked goods, and crafts right at our fingertips!

Here's one VERY happy customer with a gorgeous gourd grown right here in Hobart.


My friend Catarina and her daughter Emily also sold their homemade Swedish cinnamon buns, fresh from the oven (literally!).


And what Farmers Market would be complete without homemade pies, and local maple syrup and honey? Yum!



In anticipation of the coming Autumn, our friend Dave is now selling his pumpkins, grown right on the same property as my office (my boyfriend and I will be taking a trip over to the pumpkin patch real soon to grab some for ourselves...can't wait!)


We also had some really great crafters this week, offering a nice variety in addition to all of the produce and homemade foods.


Yesterday was also my first time selling at the Farmers Market, and it was a ton of fun! Here am I with some of my happy customers.


We were even lucky enough to enjoy the music of a local guitarist and a brass ensemble. It brought even more life to the already friendly and cheerful atmosphere.


The past few weeks, it's been so much fun to shop at the Farmers Market but it's even more fun to sell there! It's a perfect opportunity to catch up with people I don't see very often and allows the town to just enjoy each other's company. And, of course, it goes without saying that it's wonderful to be able to buy local produce and goods rather than having to shop at the "big box" stores.

Our Farmers Market is still in its first year and already we've seen a great response from the community. I hope you guys enjoyed this little peek into my town. Do you have any Farmers Markets or similar events that you enjoy visiting in your town?

3 comments:

  1. I wish we had a Farmer's Market, fun! Thank you for stopping by my blog.

    T♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, I'm your newest follower via Boost your blog Friday. I too wish we had something like that here. I would love to go to one of those.

    Looking forward to reading more from you.

    Marie (hope you'll come by for a visit sometime, I love new followers.)
    The Things We Find Inside

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stoppin' by for a Latte'. I am happy to return the follow. I enjoy going to Farmer's Markets as well. There's always so many great things and great people to see.

    ReplyDelete