Friday, March 2, 2012

Aromatherapy/Botanicals Tip of the Week

Source


I'm not sure if it's due to these cold winter months or what, but I've been having some really pesky muscle aches lately. I've noticed that my neck becomes especially sore and achy, most likely a result of sitting at a computer desk for hours each day. To relieve my aches I've tried aspirin and a heating pad, both of which helped a bit, but there was still some pain. I'm not sure why I didn't think of it before, but my next step is to try some aromatherapy for my pain.

Two oils recommended to relieve pain are lavender and peppermint. According to James Duke's The Green Pharmacy, some essential oils (such as lavender) can reduce the flow of nerve impulses such as those that signal pain. Peppermint is helpful for pain relief because it contains menthol, which has an anesthetic effect. Try using a few drops of lavender and peppermint in a base oil (such as jojoba) and massage it into the affected area. For added benefit, also include eucalyptus which can aid the absorption of the lavender and peppermint, boosting their pain-relieving effects.

No comments:

Post a Comment